Tips for Visiting in Winter
- In general dress is not formal, any style is acceptable here in the Winter.
- Call ahead for taxi service to avoid waiting for one.
- There are many things to do here that cost nothing, but dress warmly to enjoy the beauty of the island. Warm clothes are essential not optional. Dressing in layers is recommended.
- The island has ambulance, fire and a medical center for emergencies.
- Although you can rent them, you can also bring your own skis and snowshoes, even on the plane.
- Plan to use a taxi or ski for transportation, the roads are snow covered for snowmobile traffic and walking long distances is more difficult if you are not accustomed to slippery surfaces. The roads and downtown sidewalks are plowed.
- If you plan on walking or skiing to get around, bring a small sled to pull your luggage behind you, it also makes for cheap entertainment for the kids.